FUZEBOX Heads to KickStarter
The most accessible coding device ever!
In 2013 FUZE Technologies Ltd launched the FUZE for Raspberry Pi – a personal computer aimed at making teaching and learning to code as simple as possible. Now they are expanding the FUZE range by heading up a KickStarter campaign for the FUZEBOX.
Due to there being a shortage of programmers in the UK the government made the decision to overhaul the IT curriculum and put real, text based programming back on the agenda.
This is where the original FUZE came in – motivating and inspiring students, leaving them wanting to learn more, even when they had no prior coding experience at all.
The unique feature of FUZE is their evolved version of the classic programming language BASIC – FUZE BASIC. The FUZE platform provides the perfect bridge between simple coding simulators like Scratch, and complex real world languages like Python.
“BASIC is a fantastic, intuitive language with which to learn programming.” David Braben, CEO Frontier Developments & co-founder of the Raspberry Pi Foundation.
FUZEBOX is the evolution of the FUZE. Designed to work alongside existing IT equipment, the FUZEBOX is a simple ‘plug and code’ solution. The most important design feature of the FUZEBOX is that it is accessible. Simply connect via USB, WiFi or Bluetooth to your existing computing hardware and start coding.
FUZE is designed to aid users to rapidly learn and develop computing skills and to bring down the barriers to entry that often apply to complex environments (to the absolute beginner) like Python, C++, Java etc.
“BASIC was my first language back in the late 1980s, and I owe my interest in computing to the low barrier to entry and smooth learning curve that it offers.” – Eben Upton, CEO, Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd
Everything you need to get started is included; an electronic components kit, the FUZE IO board and breadboard are integral, printed project workbooks and a programmers reference guide, and of course FUZE BASIC for Windows, Android and Apple.
The goal is to bring a compact, sensor laden, IoT centric product to the consumer and education markets with learning and teaching at forefront – and more importantly, to provide a gentle learning curve into computational thinking and programming and inspiring future generations.
- Heat, humidity and pressure sensors allowing the FUZEBOX to respond to its environment
- Infra-Red In/Out – Can be used to transform your FUZEBOX into a TV remote or perhaps a ‘tapeless’ tape measure.
- Light – the FUZEBOX can become a contactless instrument, or even a proximity detecting security system.
- Microphone – react to voice, create a sound based video game and more.
- Camera – create your own baby monitor, bird watcher, or even use the FUZEBOX as part of your home surveillance system!
- Gyrometer, Accelerometer, Magnetometer – Transform your FUZEBOX into a motion controller, create your own spirit level or tilting maze game.
- GPS – Explore mapping, co-ordinates and navigational skills
- 8 Programmable Buttons – for enhanced project controls
- All of the above can be used to create serious applications but of course best of all is that they can be used to create awesome games too!
You can see the KickStarter campaign here:
About FUZE Technologies:
UK-based FUZE Technologies Ltd has its roots in home computers and programming. Our many years of experience in the computer industry and our passion for technology innovation and computer programming have positioned us perfectly to expand our business into Programmable Computers and Electronics. The last 3 years has seen the development of the FUZE for Raspberry Pi computer, and the team travelling to schools across the country delivering coding workshops with the FUZE computers.