The IET launches ‘Engineering the Next Generation’, in collaboration with ITN Productions
October 10 2017 – The Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) and ITN Productions have launched a news and current affairs-style programme ‘Engineering the Next Generation,’ which explores the challenges, careers and future of modern engineering in the UK.
With the government announcing the £229 million of industrial strategy investment, ‘Engineering the Next Generation’ brings to life the opportunities and challenges the sector in the UK faces, the changes in policy and long term impact on the UK economy.
‘Engineering the Next Generation’ showcases the work being done to attract our future generations to engineering and the diverse range of jobs available in this sector, many which are unknown to career seekers. The programme also looks into how work experience and apprenticeships play a vital role in attracting the younger generation into a rewarding and life-long career in engineering.
Drawing upon ITN’s 60 year heritage and expertise in storytelling, the news-style piece combines key interviews including Alison Carr, Director of Governance and Policy from the IET and Great British Bake Off star Andrew Smyth. The programme also includes stories from leading organisations including Bosch UK, EPSRC, G-Research, Johnson & Johnson Medical Limited, National Composites Centre, NM group, Reaction Engine Ltd, Thales, TTP plc and University of Strathclyde.
The programme will form part of an extensive communications campaign featuring industry partners, as well as relevant journalists, writers and bloggers.
Alison Carr, IET Director of Policy, said: “Our new online programme ‘Engineering the Next Generation’ addresses the current, most important challenges we are facing in the engineering and technology industry as well as showcasing the huge range of exciting and rewarding opportunities engineering presents. Engineers are creators, inventors and innovators and we hope this programme inspires the next generation of talent, who will play a vital role in shaping our future.”
Simon Shelley, Head of Industry News, ITN Productions, said: “ITN Productions are delighted to have partnered with The Institution of Engineering and Technology to explore the future of engineering, what is being done to attract young people into engineering and the extensive range of careers available in modern engineering. By examining the importance of engineering we hope to contribute to the debate on how we ensure the growth, talent and perceptions of the sector.”
To watch ‘Engineering the Next Generation’, please visit the IET’s website: www.theiet.org/itn
About the IET
- Looking for images to accompany your engineering stories? Use the IET’s media image library to highlight the exciting, creative and dynamic world of engineering.
- Interview opportunities are available with IET spokespeople from a broad range of engineering and technology disciplines including cyber-security, energy, engineering skills, innovation, manufacturing, technology, transport and women in engineering.
- The IET is one of the world’s largest engineering institutions with over 168,000 members in 150 countries. It is also the most interdisciplinary – to reflect the increasingly diverse nature of engineering in the 21st century. Energy, transport, manufacturing, information and communications, and the built environment: the IET covers them all.
- The IET is working to engineer a better world by inspiring, informing and influencing our members, engineers and technicians, and all those who are touched by, or touch, the work of engineers.
- We want to build the profile of engineering and change outdated perceptions about engineering in order to tackle the skills gap. This includes encouraging more women to become engineers and growing the number of engineering apprentices.
- For more information, visit www.theiet.org
- Follow the IET on Twitter.
About ITN Productions
ITN Productions is ITN’s bespoke production hub producing creative and commercially valuable content for the business, commercial, broadcast and digital sectors. Industry News forms part of this offering and is a communications tool for leading industry bodies and national associations produced in a broadcast news programme format, including interviews, news items and sponsored editorial profiles.
For more information visit: http://www.itnproductions.co.uk
Media enquiries to: Hannah Kellett External Communications Manager T: +44 (0)7738602426 E: firstname.lastname@example.org