Public sector becomes top target for malware attacks in the UK – says NTT Com Security Global Intelligence Threat Report
17 June 2015, Theale, Reading – Public sector organisations are the number one target for malware attacks in the UK. This is according to the latest 2015 Global Threat Intelligence Report (GTIR) – an analysis of over six billion security attacks in 2014 – announced by NTT Com Security, the global information security and risk management company.
- Finance continues to represent the number one targeted sector with 18% of all detected attacks
- 56% of attacks against the NTT global client base originated from IP addresses within the US
- During 2014, 76% of identified vulnerabilities throughout all systems in the enterprise were more than 2 years old, and almost 9% of them were over 10 years old
- 74% of organisations had no incident response plan in place in 2014
- Incident response engagements involving malware threats increased 9% compared to 2013, from 43% to 52%
- Just 46% of new malware is detected by anti-virus software
- 52% of incidents were the result of malware
- 17 of the top 20 vulnerabilities resided in user systems, not on servers.