Red Giant Universe Creates a New World of Visual Effects with Version 1.4
Eight more visual effects and transitions. Host support for FXHome HitFilm 3 Pro. GPU-accelerated tools for editors and motion graphics artists.
Portland, OR – March 10, 2015 – Red Giant has once again updated and expanded the Red Giant Universe to version 1.4, bringing users even more visual effects options in one universal library. Version 1.4 introduces eight new tools to Universe, growing the library to include 89 unique and powerful visual effects and transitions. The update also offers new host support for FXHome HitFilm 3 Pro, allowing users to work across multiple host apps – Adobe After Effects, Adobe Premiere Pro, Apple Final Cut Pro X, Apple Motion, Sony Vegas and Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve – with the same effects.
For a full overview of Universe 1.4’s new features, watch Red Giant’s introduction video at https://vimeo.com/119986567.
The Universe Expands with Eight New Tools
Universe 1.4 offers users four new free tools and four new premium tools, making the Red Giant library one of the most extensive visual effects packages on the market. Editors and motion graphics artists can run all 89 Red Giant effects on the GPU for lightning-fast rendering, often even producing results in real-time.
New tools in Universe 1.4 include:
- Knoll Light Transition: This transition uses animated Knoll Light Factory flares, complete with 20 unique presets to quickly move users from shot to shot. It also includes control over brightness, angle and edge feathering and a choice of a dissolve or linear wipe transition.
- Picture in Picture: Easily composite and frame one layer of footage over a larger layer with Picture in Picture. The effect includes the ability to add and customize a colored border and drop shadow.
- Texturize: This effect allows users to quickly give footage a Walking Dead-style grungy textured treatment. Texturize’s seamless tiling textures make it easy to animate and bring life (or death) to any video or still imagery.
- ToonIt Thermal: Give footage a simulated look and color scheme of thermal imaging systems with this new effect.
- Magnetic Displace: This new transition pushes away or pulls in footage from a center point, distorting the footage in a circular shape. It also includes controls for direction and center point.
- Soft Edge Wipe: A linear wipe transition with an adjustable feathered edge, this effect is used for transitioning between two layers of footage using a subtle blend. It includes angle control and the ability to add a colored stroke as a part of the transition.
- Elliptical Distortion: This effect warps footage spherically, with aspect controls for elliptical options. The cropping and wrap features allow users to isolate and seamlessly warp specific footage areas. The effect also includes 3D lighting controls.
- Compare Frames: This utility plug-in splits the screen into two layers of footage, placing them side-by-side. Controls include various blend modes for each layer and an option for feathering the dividing boundary for a softer edge. It also includes blending mode options and the ability to swap the views for better comparison.
Now Featuring FXHome HitFilm 3 Pro Host Support
Universe 1.4 makes working across multiple host applications easier than ever. The newest update adds FXHome HitFilm 3 Pro to the lineup of supported host apps, joining Adobe Premiere Pro, After Effects, Apple Final Cut Pro X, Apple Motion, Sony Vegas and Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve. Now, Red Giant users can utilize their presets in any application on a situational basis to bring every project to its full potential.
“Red Giant Universe is packed full of great effects, and we’re excited that thousands of HitFilm 3 Pro users now get to play with them,” says Joshua Davies, CEO and founder of FXHome. “We share a common goal with Red Giant of giving filmmakers more creative power, so this is great news for everyone.”
Sean Safreed, cofounder of Red Giant, says, “Red Giant is a company made up of filmmakers and visual effects artists, and we are very excited to work with the team at FXHome, who share our passion for providing powerful and creative tools. FXHome has built an incredible community and we’re proud to bring Red Giant Universe, our ever-expanding library of tools, to HitFilm 3 Pro.”
HitFilm3 Pro users can now access all 89 Universe tools by joining the Red Giant community at https://www.redgiant.com/store/universe.
Pricing and Availability
Existing Red Giant Universe users can download version 1.4’s new tools and updates from the Red Giant website. For new users, Universe is available in a variety of options:
- Basic Membership: Free
- Premium Monthly: $10
- Premium Yearly: $99
- Premium Lifetime: $399
Learn more about special premium membership benefits at www.redgiant.com/store/universe/pricing. For Universe downloading instructions, and to download a Universe 1.4 demo trial for free today, please visit https://www.redgiant.com/store/universe.
The Red Pledge
Red Pledge is Red Giant’s commitment to customer happiness, with no purchasing hassles. Learn about the Red Pledge guarantee at www.redgiantsoftware.com/redpledge/.
About Red Giant
Red Giant is a software company made up of talented artists and technologists who collaborate to create unique tools for filmmakers, editors, VFX artists, and motion designers. Our company culture is focused on finding balance between work and life – we call it “the double bottom line” – this philosophy helps us ignore complexity in favor of building simple tools that yield giant results. Over the last decade, our products (like Magic Bullet and Trapcode) have become the standard in film and broadcast post-production – with over 200,000 users, it’s nearly impossible to watch 20 minutes of TV without seeing our software in use. From our experiences as artists and filmmakers, we aspire not only to provide tools for artists, but inspiration as well. Watch our films, learn from over 200 free tutorials, or try our software at www.redgiant.com.