TeamViewer Announces Launch of TeamViewer 9
The latest major release brings even more convenience and efficiency into IT departments
New public API allows companies to integrate the TeamViewer functionality in their own infrastructure
TeamViewer, one of the world’s most popular providers of remote control and online meeting software, announced after a successful beta period the general availability launch of TeamViewer 9 for Windows, Mac and Linux systems. The latest version of TeamViewer’s software includes Wake-on-LAN which allows users to turn on remote computers over the internet from their current device whether using a desktop, laptop, tablet or smartphone. Additionally, TeamViewer 9 includes Service Queue. This feature provides IT support teams with the ability to manage, share and assign support requests within their team for instant customer support. Users can now also join remote support sessions simply by using a unique session code without the need to exchange an ID and password.
With more than 200 million users worldwide, TeamViewer is the leading software for easy and secure access of remote computers over the internet. The latest major release includes the long-awaited Wake-on-LAN functionality which ensures 24/7 access to computers without having to leave them constantly running. The wake feature simply works via a router, or via another computer within the local network. TeamViewer 9 introduces a variety of other new features, including:
- Two-Factor Authentication – optional feature providing an additional layer of protection for TeamViewer user accounts and thus the Computers & Contacts list and the TeamViewer Management Console. To login into their TeamViewer account, in addition to their regular login credentials, users retrieve a secondary code with a standard authenticator app and their mobile device.
- Easy File Sharing – ability to share large files with TeamViewer contacts without having to start a traditional remote access session. More practical than emails, where often size-limits apply, and eliminating the need to set up and manage complicated FTP servers for sharing data.
- Universal Clipboard – gives users the ability to copy files, images and text from their device and paste directly onto a remote desktop simply by using Copy & Paste (Ctrl+c / Ctrl+v).
- Notifications – a friendly notification pop-up window located in the Computers & Contacts list that gathers all TeamViewer system notifications including ITbrain™ alerts in one place for easy management.
- Custom Branding – Businesses can customize the TeamViewer modules QuickSupport, QuickJoin and Host one time without the need to repeat after a software update. A unique customizable link guides supported users to the current version of a module stored within the TeamViewer Management Console, where the module can be shared and customized within a support team.
With the announcement of TeamViewer 9 the company is also launching its public API which allows companies to integrate TeamViewer functionality into their infrastructure, such as helpdesk or CRM systems. Designed specifically for developers who want flexibility for their applications, the TeamViewer API is available for free to users with a TeamViewer 9 license. The TeamViewer API consists of two features:
- Reporting API – a language-neutral REST API to retrieve report data from the TeamViewer Management Console, saving time by automating complex reporting tasks and integrating TeamViewer data with existing business data for deeper insights.
- User Management API – allows organizations to minimize disruption by synchronizing user data between the company’s existing user management system and TeamViewer. This allows developers to write applications to manage TeamViewer user accounts in a company profile as well as migrate from and integrate with existing IT infrastructure.
Developers will be able to access information about the TeamViewer API through the new TeamViewer developers and integration website: integrate.teamviewer.com. The integration website includes detailed reference documentation, how-to guides and other helpful resources.
Additional new features for Mac and Linux users
With the new version 9, TeamViewer released TeamViewer QuickSupport for Linux, a small customer module that enables IT support teams to provide instant support to Linux users from any Mac, Linux, Windows system or mobile device (iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8) without installation. Already available for Windows and Mac systems, TeamViewer QuickSupport can be customized to a company’s corporate design and is optimized for instant cross-platform support. At the same time, TeamViewer released an update for TeamViewer QuickSupport for Mac which brings all features the Windows version has to Mac.
“After a successful beta period, we are excited to announce the final release of TeamViewer 9. The major release brings plenty new features that will further ease lives of IT supporters around the world. In addition, the release of the API is a major milestone for our company. In the past we’ve received dozens of emails from users asking if they can integrate TeamViewer as remote support software into their environments. We can finally provide outside developers with access to create sessions from their software and integrate with the data they manage within the TeamViewer infrastructure,” said Kornelius Brunner, Head of Product Management at TeamViewer.
TeamViewer 9 is available for Windows, Mac and Linux systems and supports Windows 8.1 and Mac OS X Mavericks. The described feature set may vary depending on the operating system. Additional information and a download option are available at www.teamviewer.com/download/currentversion.aspx. For professional use, TeamViewer offers different licenses targeted at the needs of enterprises large and small. As always, for personal use in a non-commercial environment, TeamViewer software is free of charge.
Founded in 2005, TeamViewer is fully focused on the development and distribution of high-end solutions for online communication, collaboration and remote monitoring of IT systems. Available in over 30 languages and with more than 200 million users worldwide, TeamViewer is one of the world’s most popular providers of remote control and online meeting software. For more information, visit: www.teamviewer.com